Houston, Texas 77024
GET IN TOUCH
Robert (Rob) has over 50 years of wealth management, tax and accounting experience. His career began in Boston at the accounting firm, Coopers & Lybrand (today PwC). He left PwC in 1973 to work for U.S. Trust Company (Boston) in their financial planning company. He also taught accounting at Nichols College and Bentley College.
In 1975, Robert Scharar formed First Commonwealth Associates, the predecessor to FCA Corp, to offer fee-based independent financial planning with offices in Boston and Houston. In 1981, he rejoined U.S. Trust, who aquired FCA, as President of the financial planning company. In 1983, he re-acquired the business and moved the entire operation to Houston.
Rob was the editor of Money Management for Physicians for several years, a monthly publication focusing on financial and business planning for the medical community.
Rob is the President / Head Portfolio Manager for Commonwealth International Series Trust (established 1991), the home to five mutual funds: Japan Fund, Australia/New Zealand Fund, Africa Fund, Global Fund and Real Estate Securities Fund.
Having a vision for the opportunities in Africa, FCA under Rob’s leadership began investing on the continent which led to forming Africap, LLC, a private fund owning companies in the insurance, banking, hospitality, healthcare, energy and other industries. Rob serves on the Board of Directors for NICO Holdings Plc and Blantyre Hotels, Plc, both public companies listed on the Malawi Stock Exchange.
Education, Licenses & Certifications
- Polk State College (formerly Polk Junior College), A.A
- University of Florida, B.S.B.A, Accounting
- Northeastern University, Master of Business Administration – MBA
- Northeastern University, Doctor of Law – J.D.
- Boston University School of Law, Master of Laws – LLM, Taxation
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA), Florida State Board of Public Accountancy
- Member of the Massachusetts Bar Association
- Member of the Florida Bar Association
- American Academy of Attorney – CPAs Louis S. Goldberg Memorial Award (1993)
- Boy Scouts of America – Silver Beaver Award (2005)
- International Trade Center / Texas Africa Business Excellence Award (2010)
- American Academy of Attorney – CPAs Presidential Award (2012)
- International Trade Center – Global Impact Award (2022)
- Being proud of his hometown, Lakeland, Florida, in the mid-1990s he saw an opportunity to give back and honor his former community. FCA oversaw the restoration and re-opening of the historic Terrace Hotel.
- Former President of American Academy of Attorney – CPAs (1988)
- Board of Directors of American Academy of Attorney-CPAs (since 1977)
Featured in Professional Organizations
Rob has been featured in publications or TV appearances including NASDAQ, The Wall Street Journal, Houston Chronicle, Houston Business Journal, Fox Business, Yahoo, New York Times, CNN Money, CNBC, Japan Times, New Zealand Herald, CNN Africa and The National Business Review.
Rob resides in Houston, TX with his wife, Daphne. They have seven grandchildren whose lives they enjoy being apart of. Two of their children Ryan and Christina are also Attorney-CPAs and work at FCA Corp. His other son, Tyler, is a graduate of the USNA currently on active duty. He loves to travel, study historical events and places and occasionally plays the Bugle.